Friday 22 May 2015

"Unteachable" by Leah Raeder





There's one, and I mean only one, thing that I find impractical about my Kindle. I cannot see actual page numbers, just percentage. So I cannot know exactly how long is one book, I just realize from the time I spend reading it, whether it is big or not.

The book in discussion now, seemed endless. It kept dragging on and on and on. 

Not everything was bad about it. I loved the first chapter. And this is an important accomplishment for a writer: get a great start. A great first sentence, a great first chapter. This is what the reader gets a glimpse of, before buying the book. But what about after that??

To be honest, I think it is a poor choice of this writer, to write this kind of book. Personal opinion, OK. But really, she has a sharp mind and a skillful tongue. Why waste it on describing a lukewarm love affair and a bunch of sex scenes? In which type of book also, I believe she fails. You see, the clue on YA romance books is the anticipation. You want the two protagonists to get together, they don't, and that's what makes you wanna keep reading. When the mail character/so called 'teacher' of our story, gives in to his desire so easily, without any restrictions or reservations, and then you just read nearly half a book about get together s on motels, I think there is not much story to want to follow. And there is not so much respect for the characters either. Or empathy. There had to be something more. And what there was, was not enough. 

This book didn't do it for me. At all. And I quit reading it. No, I am not ashamed to admit, I drop out of things occasionally when I lose interest. And I don't feel like a quitter. It's just that there are so many more things to do, so many books to read. 

Just the way things are.

Nice night to wherever the sun is hiding...

No comments:

Post a Comment