Thursday 14 May 2015

The girl on the train


First things first: It takes a lot of patience, persistence and thought, to write a book like this. That said, I found this book ugly. 

Let me be clear. The characters were very well-studied, and I think I can say that they were very consistent to their personalities. But... Thinking about what bothered me in the book, I believe it was that all characters were deeply flawed. Not that we all aren't, but it takes a protagonist of a story to have some sort of good qualities in order for you to like them, sympathize with them, feel for them, and eventually come to love their story. Or if the main heroes are twisted or plainly unlucky/stupid (see "Gone girl"), aka not particularly likable, then at least the plot must be somewhat special in order to save the book. And unfortunately this was not the case here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment